- Olive oil
- Onion – chopped
- 1 cup rice (enough for ~3 meals)
- 2 cups water / vegetable stock per cup of rice (liquid or powder mixed with water)
- Spice (to taste) – ideas: baharat, cajun, harissa, curry powder (do not use herbs – only spice)
- 1 can lentils or beans
- Preferred vegetables – potato, carrot, broccoli, etc.
- Can add any beans, lentils, vegetables, etc. Doesn’t matter which.
- Use a large steel/iron pot with lid.
- Pour enough olive oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan (make sure completely covered).
- Add one chopped onion
- Put pot on top of stove and start cooking onion until translucent
- Add 1 cup rice
- Mix to coat in the oil and stir until rice starts to turn solid white rather than translucent white
- Keep stirring and don’t allow to burn.
- Add spice and keep stirring.
- Add 2 cups of water or vegetable stock per cup of rice and mix.
- Make sure all rice is covered.
- Add lentils and mix.
- Place veggies on top.
- Bring to boil then put in oven at 180C for 40 min.
- After 40 min remove from oven. DO NOT OPEN LID
- Leave lid on and let sit for 20 min.
- Open, stir, etc. Should be ready to eat once cooled.
Corn makes a really nice addition to this recipe. To perfectly cook corn leave the outer layer of leaves on, wrap in foil, bake in the oven for about an hour.