- One large sweet potato – about 1.5 cups mashed (can add ordinary potato with a smaller sweet potato if needed)
- One cup of rice (any type, but brown adds a nice kind of meaty texture)
- Small to medium onion – chopped
- About half a cup of plain flour (white or wholemeal – adjust quantity to ensure mix is not too dry or sticky)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice (Masterfoods spice mix – adjust quantity to your taste preference)
- Olive oil (for the baking tray to avoid sticking)
- Cook the rice.
- Boil then loosely mash the sweet potato.
- Combine the rice, mashed sweet potato, chopped onion, flour and Cajun spice in a bowl.
- Mix together (easiest to use your hands).
- Take a ball of mixture a bit bigger than a golf ball. Roll then flatten into a burger sized pattie.
- Put onto a greased baking tray and bake for about 5 to 7 minutes until the top begins to crisp.
- Flip over and bake on the other side for another 5 to 7 minutes until the top begins to crisp.
- When done, leave on the baking tray to cool before moving onto a cooling rack.
In a burger bun is always a good start… Fresh wholegrain seems to work well. Don’t forget the tomato sauce and American mustard. Oh and of course some lettuce and whatever other salad you like on top.
Vegan veggie burgers